African Mask Design Lesson - The Hair
Stylizing the hair - 1
- On the light background draw a stylized design to represent hair or braids.
- A straight, simplified, linear design is used here to contrast with the curves on the rest of the mask.
Stylizing the hair - 2
- Cut out the stylized hair braid, flip it over and place it onto the dark side of the design.
- This completes the symmetry and is the final counterchange of the arrangement.
- The layout of the mask is now complete.
Stylizing the hair - 3
- This illustration depicts some alternative styles of hair.
- Note how each style has been reduced to a few simple lines.
- Simplified features communicate quicker and have a greater visual impact than more detailed images.
African Mask Design Lesson