Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics - Y, Z, CH
HIEROGLYPH - Y
- There are two hieroglyphs for the letter "Y". They represent the different sounds of the letter.
- The single reed is used for the short 'Y' sound in words like yes and year, and names like Yasmin.
- The double reed is used for the long 'Y' sound in words like many and money, and names like Yvonne.
HIEROGLYPH - Z
- The door bolt is used for the "Z" sound in words like zigzag and zodiac, and names like Zoe and Zachary.
HIEROGLYPH - CH
- The Cattle Rope is used for the 'CH' sound in words like chair, church, and names like Charles and Cheryl.
The Hieroglyphic Alphabet
Ancient Egyptian Art Menu