Our page banner is a detail of 'Early Sunday Morning', (1930) by Edward Hopper.
Paintings of Buildings, Towns and Cities
The Art of the Built Environment
- These pages celebrate famous paintings of buildings, towns and cities.
- The artworks we have selected have been created by artists to communicate their feelings and ideas about the world we have constructed for ourselves.
- Artists paint their environment in a variety of different styles.
- Some paint in a naturalistic manner to reflect the visual beauty of the subject.
- Some edit elements of the scene to create an idealised version of the subject.
- Some edit elements of the scene for the compositional harmony of the picture.
- Some exaggerate or distort elements of the scene for expressive effect.
- Some paint scenes of total fantasy which are the constructs of their own imagination.